I'm Here For You


No one ever came to the end of his life and said, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Many kids say they wish their dads spent more time with them. I can relate to this need for time because my own kids would say, especially when I was travelling, that I was gone too much. In fact, I could have lost my whole family because I didn't hear what I'm saying to you right now: make time -- lots of it! -- just watching your children, listening to them tell stories, fixing broken toys, doing homework or whatever your children need.

Many years ago, my daughter Rhonda came to Betty with a broken doll. Betty said, "I can't fix it." Rhonda responded, "When Daddy gets home, he can! He can fix anything." I wish that last phrase were as certain as my desire to help.

I don't recall whether or not I actually fixed Rhonda's doll, but I remember the profound feeling when she came to me with her crisis. She knew that her Daddy would be there for whatever she needed. Rhonda knew she could depend on me to try to fix the doll, and when she asked, I would be available.

In the midst of a busy life, I was not always available, but by God's grace, no matter how little I was around, they remembered those words from when they were little: "I'm here for you."

Sometimes life rolls along comfortably with everything falling nicely into place. When you have times of peace, tell your children that no matter what, they can always come to you. Then, when they have difficulty, they will come to you. Show them by your actions that your words are true. Be available to help even when your daughter's doll breaks or your son needs help with his homework. When your children need you for seemingly insignificant things, they are simply preparing the waters. 

As my children grew, so did their thoughts, curiosity about the world, and general ability to make trouble. But because they knew from when they were little that they could come to me with anything, they always did. We were able to deal with their concerns before they became major family issues. No amount of money, pleasure, or time at the office is worth more than that. 

No father wants his children to fail, but wisdom tells you that they will fail sometimes. They will miss the mark. And when they do, they must have a safe place to which they can escape. If they cannot come to you when their needs are small, how will they continue with the truly big problems?

Children need to know that they can come to their fathers with any problem in the same way that Christians can come to their heavenly Father with any problem. Even when you feel like you're in over your head, you're not alone. 

Children are more than any parent can handle. Only God, through the power of his Holy Spirit, can empower you to be a parent.

God can care for your children, and He will give you the strength to do what you never thought possible. You just have to come to Him as His child, then make yourself available to your own children as a father.

This week find ways to “be there” for your children and/or grandchildren. Make a long-term commitment of your time, energy and attention to them and ask the Lord to help you learn how to be the paternal influence that He has designed you to be.

Prayer
“Lord, give me the grace, wisdom and endurance to be the kind of father/grandfather that truly makes an eternal difference in the lives of those children you’ve placed in my life.”

By James Robison

Don't forget to Like / Share / Comment on the various social media platforms below:

Comments

Popular Posts